Faces in the Crowd
While in the grocery store the other
day I started noticing people more than I usually do. I noticed most everyone shopping
alone, wore a basically unhappy face. People’s
lips were puckered in dissatisfaction and bitterness. I was alone and wasn’t particularly happy
that day, so I wondered, do I look like that? I made some subtly changes to my inner mood, in
hopes to reflect outwardly a more joyful me. I noticed that Moms with children
seemed too busy and preoccupied to actually look unhappy, and the people who
were with a husband, partner or friend seemed relatively happier, but even
still, they all seemed somewhat dispirited.
Viewing these people’s faces got me
thinking about happiness, and why often times, it can be allusive for most of
us. People in our society are relatively
unhappy in my opinion. The proof is in
the pudding, or should I say, on Amazon.com. Amazon lists the Top 10 books on Happiness on
their website, along with claims they will help you find “joy and
meaning.” Books such as; The Happiness Solution, The Art of Happiness,
Happiness Now, Authentic Happiness, The
Blue Zones, all claim they will help us find more fulfillment, joy, and
meaning. Written words on happiness, seems to
bring big business, selling millions of copies.
So, if we are willing to pay millions to get the scoop on happiness,
then there must be a problem.
I live in a relatively healthy
town. My town’s people are, eating
right, practicing yoga and exercising regularly. Yet somehow, these people
still don’t seem happy to me. I asked myself, if despite eating right and
exercising, might the overall health of our country be at risk due to, simply
being unhappy? Might we die of unhappiness so to speak, and not even know it? I have heard of people dying of loneliness,
this must be closely related. I have also heard numerous times; laughter is the
best medicine. I have always liked this
saying and long to believe it true. How can we find more to laugh about?
I wonder if people in other countries are as
unhappy as Americans? Is the possibility
of our current economic demise fueling the fire of unhappiness? If so, does that mean money makes us happy? I’ve read many articles exploring the idea
that money can’t buy happiness, not by a long shot. In my opinion, buying ‘things’ only leads to,
well…more ‘things’ not happiness. I do understand that our society is
in a compromising position so to speak. Humans have many valid concerns, such
as, the un-employment rate, the economy, our misguided government, high taxes,
personal issues, and the list could go on. I challenge these worries however, by
asking one simple question; what if none of this changes? Are we then forever in the perils of
discontent due to our personal and societal shortcomings? In my opinion, we can’t afford to wait for
happiness to come to us, we need to feel it now, despite our current state of
affairs.
I believe our world is evolving,
change is happening right now, and it’s making us uncertain, as well as,
unhappy. I believe these changes,
shouldn’t lead us to a dead end of discontentment, we need to find another
route. This blog will explore the many
different ideas and concepts offered through, books, and articles, websites,
regarding happiness. Through a bit of research and inner dialogue, we may even
discover our own path to true happiness. I can relate to John Mayer’s, The Age of Worry, when he croons “sing
out in the age of worry and say worry get out of here.”


This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat is happiness? Where does it come from? Is it real? Why do we want it? I believe the longing for happiness comes from a spiritual desire from our soul to be connected with whence the soul energy came from....What type of happiness is our soul so anxious for? Lets face it, we are anxious for true happiness. Our souls only want the best. The real. The happiness with the most love. A relentless and tireless pursuit for a constant connection with its own energy....This search for happiness crosses the worldly boundry's and sums up the human condition that seeks a true happiness, a deep connection. These faces you see are searching and true introspection is a matter of timing, karma and longing...Maybe so, maybe no. Just a feeling based on my own inner search. Nice article Annelle.
ReplyDeleteInteresting inquiry. I look that you looked at the market for happiness via Amazon.com. That is very telling! Will you use at least one of those books as a source so that you can examine how best-selling authors are promising happiness?
ReplyDeleteFeel free to use Heller's article as one of your 5 sources, if you want, since you have already read it and thought about it.
This article you wrote leads me back to Heller's article about consumerism and how our society longs for happiness through constantly spending. How will this "lack of happiness" play out over time? Will it continue into future generations? I think it goes along with how Heller spoke of being mindful of what you already have. As a society, we tend to get caught up in all that is going on around us and forget to appreciate what we have in front of us. Can happiness truly be measured though? And I think in order for people to come to a mindful realization, it will have to be voluntary. We are constantly searching for that connection of happiness however , as a culture, we appear to have not found that conneciton yet Hopefully we can reverse this trend of being unhappy and find true happiness as a society. I was very interested by your inquiry and look forward to reading more as you post.
ReplyDeleteGood topic. I can't wait for your exploration. Do you feel that you can make the world happier, or just what works for you? I think we are so unique in what makes each one of us happy that it does take something different for each person. I guess I believe the part of the movie "City Slickers" where they talk about the secret of life. It is that one thing, and for each person it is different. For me it is family. As long as I can unwind and relax with my family then I am happy. They are my happiness. Just sitting here typing about them makes me smile.
ReplyDeleteWhere do you stand now? I am curious to see how things change or stay the same. What do you think you need to change in order to make you happier?
This will be an interesting topic to follow! However, I do have to disagree with you a bit on one thing. Recently I was having a discussion with someone where the saying "money doesn't buy happiness came up" we started talking about this and my money problems with school and trying to afford a living. What he said is that money DOES buy happiness it just does not buy love. I had to agree with him, because I know I have been absolutely miserable because of my lack of money. Sure I have good days, but if I did not have to worry about how I am going to pay rent, afford a car, or feed myself then things would be so much easier and I would be much less upset!
ReplyDeleteI get what your saying regarding financial struggles. I worry about them as well. Of course I have thought money could be the answer. Research has shown however, that people with money are no happier than people without. I think I will blog about this subject next so thanks for the idea. I do believe we need to search deeper than our pockets for the true meaning of happiness.
DeleteI don't know if you'll ever find an answer to this one! :)
ReplyDeleteBut I'm excited to see where you'll go with it and the different avenues that you will explore. Something that might be worth looking into is either psychology or medical research concerning serotonin, which is one of the main chemicals in our brain that controls how happy we are...seeing what stuff triggers that and makes us think that we're happy.
In my opinion, "life is too short, so love the one you got, cause you might get run over or you might get shot, never start static, I just get it off my chest."
be happy with what you have, and let go of the negative and what you can't change.
Thanks for the post, and ideas. I like that music makes you happy ,and the lyrics you posted are funny and ironically true!
Delete